Lewis Deep Democracy Levels 1-4
* If you are enrolled on one of these programs and are looking for online resources please log in and go to the Learning Centre *
If you’re a facilitator, consultant, coach, educator, mediator, caregiver – or anyone who works with people and wants to understand more about group dynamics, this foundation program is valuable for you.
It is made up of 4 separate programs after which you will:
- have advanced skills in facilitation and collaboration
- support groups to make more effective and efficient decisions
- have a completely new way to understand group dynamics after your experience of role theory
- be able to work effectively in low and high levels of conflict
- manage processes that resolve tension.
All the courses:
- are highly experiential, with the opportunity to practice skills
- include theory and have manuals provided
- give you access to the Learning Centre with further information and video materials.
Level 1 provides the foundational theory & skills of Lewis Deep Democracy. It comprises 8 modules which can be taken over two days or in an equivalent modular style making up the two days.
Key outcomes include:
- the ability to gain all the views
- the ability to recognise the NO / minority voice, create and hold the space for its expression, and add its value into majority decision making
- knowing how, when and why decision making processes build resistance
- understanding group dynamics from the perspectives of role theory and field theory
- the ability to facilitate processes that support groups to engage with tension and experience the transformative potential of conflict
- insights into how to apply and use the theory and tools in your facilitation and consulting work as well as in your personal life.
Once you have completed the Level 1 course you may continue to the Level 2. This is also a 2 day program which can be taken in an equivalent modular style making up the two days.
Key outcomes of the level 2 course include:
- further integration of Lewis Deep Democracy theory and practice into your work
- increasing your ability to facilitate from the different positions of facilitator, leader and participant
- an extension of your knowledge and skills regarding Step 5 of LDD, learning the Debate, the Argument and the Golden Arrows, doing them in pairs and in groups and meetings
- deepening your understanding of roles and role mapping
- strengthening your understanding and practice of neutrality, including learning the Neutrality Exercise
Once you have competed Level 2 you may continue to the Level 3 course. This is also a 2 day program which can be taken in an equivalent modular style making up the two days.
Key outcomes of the Level 3 program include:
- enhanced ability to “hold” a group where there is conflict, and manage the processes for its resolution
- increased sensitivity to the metaskill of neutrality, recognizing quickly when you have lost it and knowing how to regain it [CE27]
- the skills of reflective listening and amplification.
The Level 4 course runs for three consecutive days. It focuses on growing your metaskills through gaining a deeper understanding of yourself based on the psychological models underpinning Lewis Deep Democracy. It will further fine tune your Lewis Deep Democracy practice and also provide you with supervision. The prerequisite for Level 4 is completion of Levels 1, 2 and 3. It is also recommended that participants complete an I-Know-Me assessment questionnaire and receive one-on-one feedback.
Key outcomes of the Level 4 program include:
- exploration of the psychological models that have been developed and adapted to form Lewis Deep Democracy, including the work of Freud, Bern, Erskin, Jung and Mindell
- an understanding of your own deeper psychology
- further exploration of Lewis Deep Democracy from both a Newtonian and quantum lens
- deeper understanding and development of metaskills
- access to further practice and supervision